Paired calibrations applied to soap films, immiscible fluids, and surfaces or networks minimizing other norms.
Gary Lawlor and Frank Morgan
Pacific J. Math., Volume 166, Number 1 (1994), 55-83.
First available in Project Euclid: 8 December 2004
Permanent link to this document
Mathematical Reviews number (MathSciNet)
Zentralblatt MATH identifier
Primary: 58E12: Applications to minimal surfaces (problems in two independent variables) [See also 49Q05]
Secondary: 49Q05: Minimal surfaces [See also 53A10, 58E12]
Lawlor, Gary; Morgan, Frank. Paired calibrations applied to soap films, immiscible fluids, and surfaces or networks minimizing other norms.
Pacific J. Math. 166 (1994), no. 1, 55--83. https://projecteuclid.org/euclid.pjm/1102621245
- [Al] Manuel Alfaro, Mark Conger, Kenneth Hodges, Adam Levy, Rajiv Kochar, Lisa Kuklinski, Zia Mahmood, and Karen von Haam, Segments can meet in fours in energy-minimizing networks, J. of Undergraduate Math., 22 (1990), 9-20 .
- [A2] Manuel Alfaro, Mark Conger, Kenneth Hodges, Adam Levy, Rajiv Kochar, Lisa Kuklinski, Zia Mahmood, and Karen von Haam, The structure of singularities in -minimizing networks in R2, Pacific J. Math., 149 (1991), 201-210.
- [A3] Manuel Alfaro, Existence of shortest directed networks in R2, Pacific J. Math., to appear.
- [A] F. J. Almgren, Jr., Existence and regularity almost everywhere of solu- tions to elliptic variational problems with constraints, Memoirs Amer. Math. Soc, 165 (1976), 1-199.
- [AT] F. J. Almgren, Jr. and Jean Taylor, The geometry of soap films and soap bubbles, Sci. Amer., 235 (1976), 82-93.
- [B] Leonard M. Blumenthal, Theory and Applications of Distance Geometry, 2nd ed., Chelsea, New York, 1970
- [Bl] Kenneth Brakke, Minimal cones on hypercubes, J. Geom. Anal., 1 (1991), 329-338.
- [B2] Kenneth Brakke, Soap films and covering spaces, to appear in J. Geom. Anal, (also Minnesota Geometry Center research report GCG54).
- [B3] Kenneth Brakke, The Surface Evolver, Experimental Mathematics, 1 (1992), 141-165.
- [CG] G. D. Chakerian and M. A. Ghandehari, The Fermat problem in Minkowski spaces, Geom. Dedicata, 17 (1985), 227-238.
- [Coc] E. J. Cockayne, On the Steiner problem, Canad. Math. Bull., 10 (1967), 431-450.
- [Con] Mark Conger, Energy-minimizing networks in Rn, Honors thesis, Williams College, 1989, expanded 1989.
- [CR] R. Courant and H. Robbins, What is Mathematics?, Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 1941.
- [F] Federer, H., Geometric Measure Theory, New York, Springer-Verlag, 1969.
- [FLM] Z. Fiiredi, J. C. Lagarias, and F. Morgan, Singularities of minimal sur- faces and networks and related problems in Minkowski space, DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, Vol.
- [G] Branko Griinbaum, Strictly antipodal sets, Israel J. Math., 1 (1963), 5-10.
- [H] M. Hanan, On Steiner's problem with rectilinear distance, J. SIAM Appl. Math., 14 (1966) 255-265.
- [K] Robert B. Kusner, in Richard K. Guy, An olla-podrida of open problems, often oddly posed, Amer. Math. Monthly, 90 (1983), 196-199.
- [LM] Gary Lawlor and Frank Morgan, Minimizing cones and networks: im- miscible fluids, norms, and calibrations, Extended abstracts of lectures presented at the AMS special session, "Computing Optimal Geometries", AMS Selected Lectures in Math. (Jean E Taylor, ed.), 1991, 27.
- [L] Adam Levy, Energy-minimizing networks meet only in threes, J. of Un- dergraduate Math., 22 (1990), 53-59.
- [Ml] Frank Morgan, Area-minimizing surfaces, faces of Grassmannians, and calibrations, Amer. Math. Monthly, 95 (1988), 813-822.
- [M2] Frank Morgan, Calibrations and new singularities inarea-minimizing surfaces: a survey, in Henri Berestycki, Jean-Michel Coron, and Ivar Ekeland, ed., Variational Methods, Prog. Nonlin. Diff. Eqns., Vol. 4 (Proc. conf., Paris, 1988), Birkhauser, Boston, 1990, pp. 329-342.
- [M3] Frank Morgan, The cone over the Clifford iorus in R4 is^-minimizing, Math. Ann., 289 (1991), 341-354; Announced in A sharp counterexample on the regularity of ^-minimizinghypersurf aces, Bull. Amer.Math. Soc, 22 (1990), 295-299.
- [M4] Frank Morgan, Geometric Measure Theory: a Beginner's Guide, Aca- demic Press, New York, 1988; Second edition, 1995.
- [M5] Frank Morgan, Minimal surfaces, crystals, and norms on Rn, Proc. 7th Annual Symp. on Computational Geom., June, 1991, N. Conway, NH.
- [M6] Frank Morgan, Minimal surfaces, crystals, shortest networks, and un- dergraduate research, Math. Intel., 14 (1992), 37-44.
- [M7] Frank Morgan, Riemannian Geometry: a Beginner's Guide, Jones and Bartlett, 1992
- [M8] Frank Morgan, Size-minimizing rectifiable currents, Inventiones math., 96 (1989), 333-348.
- [M9] Frank Morgan, Compound soap bubbles, shortest networks, and minimal surfaces, video of AMS-MAA address, San Francisco, 1991.
- [M10] Frank Morgan, Soap bubbles and soap films, in Joseph Malkevitch and Donald McCarthy, ed., Mathematical Vistas: New and Recent Publica- tions in Mathematics from the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 607, 1990.
- [Mil] Frank Morgan, Strict calibrations, constant mean curvature, and triple junctions, preprint (1994).
- [P] CM. Petty, Equilateral sets in Minkowski spaces, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc, 29 (1971), 369-374.
- [S] I. J. Schoenberg, Remarks to Maurice FrecheVs articleuSur la definition axiomatique d'une classe d'espaces vectoriels distancies applicables vec- toriellement sur espace de Hubert", Ann. of Math., 36 (1935), 724-732.
- [Tl] Jean Taylor, The structure of singularities in soap-bubble-like and soap- film-like minimal surfaces, Ann. Math., 103 (1976), 489-539.
- [T2] Jean Taylor, The structure of singularities in solutions to ellipsoidal vari- ational problems with constraints in R3, Ann. Math., 103 (1976), 541- 546.
- [Wl] Brian White, Existence of least-area mappings of N-dimensional do- mains, Annals Math., 118 (1983), 179-185.
- [W2] Brian White, Regularity of the singular sets in immiscible fluid interfaces and solutions to other Plateau-type problems, Proc. Center Math. Anal., Australian Natl. Univ., 10 (1985), 244-249.