Institute of Mathematical Statistics Collections
Nonparametric statistics on manifolds with applications to shape spaces
This article presents certain recent methodologies and some new results for the statistical analysis of probability distributions on manifolds. An important example considered in some detail here is the 2-D shape space of k-ads, comprising all configurations of k planar landmarks (k>2)-modulo translation, scaling and rotation.
First available in Project Euclid: 28 April 2008
Permanent link to this document
Digital Object Identifier
Mathematical Reviews number (MathSciNet)
Zentralblatt MATH identifier
Copyright © 2008, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
Bhattacharya, Abhishek; Bhattacharya, Rabi. Nonparametric statistics on manifolds with applications to shape spaces. Pushing the Limits of Contemporary Statistics: Contributions in Honor of Jayanta K. Ghosh, 282--301, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, Beachwood, Ohio, USA, 2008. doi:10.1214/074921708000000200. https://projecteuclid.org/euclid.imsc/1209398475
-  Babu, G. J. and Singh, K. (1984). On one term Edgeworth correction by Efron’s bootstrap. Sankhyā Ser. A 46 219–232.
-  Bandulasiri, A., Bhattacharya, R. N. and Patrangenaru, V. (2007). Algorithms for nonparametric inference on shape manifolds with applications in medical imaging. To appear.
-  Bhattacharya, A. and Bhattacharya, R. (2007). Statistics on Riemannian manifolds: asymptotic distribution and curvature. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. In press.
-  Bhattacharya, R. N. and Ghosh, J. K. (1978). On the validity of the formal Edgeworth expansion. Ann. Statist. 6 434–451.
-  Bhattacharya, R. N. and Qumsiyeh, M. (1989). Second order and Lp-comparisons between the bootstrap and empirical Edgeworth expansions. Ann. Statist. 17 160–169.
-  Bhattacharya, R. N. and Patrangenaru, V. (2002). Nonparametric estimation of location and dispersion on Riemannian manifolds. J. Statist. Plann. Inference 108 23–35.
-  Bhattacharya, R. N. and Patrangenaru, V. (2003). Large sample theory of intrinsic and extrinsic sample means on manifolds-I. Ann. Statist. 31 1–29.
-  Bhattacharya, R. and Patrangenaru, V. (2005). Large sample theory of intrinsic and extrinsic sample means on manifolds-II. Ann. Statist. 33 1225–1259.
-  Bookstein, F. L. (1991). Morphometric Tools for Landmark Data: Geometry and Biology. Cambridge Univ. Press.
-  Do Carmo, M. P. (1992). Riemannian Geometry. Birkhäuser, Boston. English translation by F. Flaherty.
-  Dryden, I. L., Le, H. and Wood, A. (2007). The MDS model for shape. To appear.
-  Dryden, I. L. and Mardia, K. V. (1998). Statistical Shape Analysis. Wiley, New York.
-  Dunford, N. and Schwartz, J. (1958). Linear Operators-I. Wiley, New York.
-  Efron, B. (1979). Bootstrap methods: Another look at the jackknife. Ann. Statist. 7 1–26.
-  Gallot, S., Hulin, D. and Lafontaine, J. (1990). Riemannian Geometry, 2nd ed. Springer, Berlin.
-  Ghosh, J. K. (1994). Higher Order Asymptotics. IMS, Hayward, CA.
-  Hall, P. (1992). The Bootstrap and Edgeworth Expansion. Springer, New York.
-  Hendricks, H. and Landsman, Z. (1998). Mean location and sample mean location on manifolds: Asymptotics, tests, confidence regions. J. Multivariate Anal. 67 227–243.
-  Karchar, H. (1977). Riemannian center of mass and mollifier smoothing. Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 30 509–541.
-  Kendall, D. G. (1984). Shape manifolds, Procrustean metrics, and complex projective spaces. Bull. London Math. Soc. 16 81–121.
-  Kendall, D. G., Barden, D., Carne, T. K. and Le, H. (1999). Shape and Shape Theory. Wiley, New York.
-  Kendall, W. S. (1990). Probability, convexity, and harmonic maps with small image-I. Uniqueness and the fine existence. Proc. London Math. Soc. 61 371–406.
-  Kent, J. T. (1992). New directions in shape analysis. In The Art of Statistical Science: A Tribute to G. S. Watson (K. V. Mardia, ed.) 115–128. Wiley, New York.
-  Le, H. (2001). Locating frechet means with application to shape spaces. Adv. in Appl. Probab. 33 324–338.
-  Lee, J.M. (1997). Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature. Springer, New York.
-  Patrangenaru, V. (1998). Asymptotic statistics on manifolds. Ph.D. dissertation, Indiana Univ.