Geometry & Topology
- Geom. Topol.
- Volume 17, Number 3 (2013), 1497-1534.
Intersections of quadrics, moment-angle manifolds and connected sums
For the intersections of real quadrics in and in associated to simple polytopes (also known as universal abelian covers and moment-angle manifolds, respectively) we obtain the following results:
(1) Every such manifold of dimension greater than or equal to 5, connected up to the middle dimension and with free homology, is diffeomorphic to a connected sum of sphere products. The same is true for the manifolds in infinite families stemming from each of them. This includes the moment-angle manifolds for which the result was conjectured by F Bosio and L Meersseman.
(2) The topological effect on the manifolds of cutting off vertices and edges from the polytope is described. Combined with the result in (1), this gives the same result for many more natural, infinite families.
(3) As a consequence of (2), the cohomology rings of the two manifolds associated to a polytope need not be isomorphic, contradicting published results about complements of arrangements.
(4) Auxiliary but general constructions and results in geometric topology.
Geom. Topol., Volume 17, Number 3 (2013), 1497-1534.
Received: 7 June 2012
Revised: 11 December 2012
Accepted: 14 January 2013
First available in Project Euclid: 20 December 2017
Permanent link to this document
Digital Object Identifier
Mathematical Reviews number (MathSciNet)
Zentralblatt MATH identifier
Gitler, Samuel; López de Medrano, Santiago. Intersections of quadrics, moment-angle manifolds and connected sums. Geom. Topol. 17 (2013), no. 3, 1497--1534. doi:10.2140/gt.2013.17.1497. https://projecteuclid.org/euclid.gt/1513732612